A New (Again) Frontier - Cooking For One

It's been a long time since I've had to plan meals and shop for one but with Greg working out of the State and Andrea at college it's time for me to stop living off what was in the freezer and plan some exciting meals again! My key goals in planning will be (1) to reduce food waste by only buying what I need and using what I buy before it goes bad, (2) to eat healthier by being mindful of what I will eat throughout the day, and (3) to cook creatively by having the ingredients on hand to make something new each week.

My known shopping resources that I use now are Super Target (good for quick pick-ups over lunch break at work), Costco (for far fewer items now that I'm planning for one - or should I find someone to split things with??? hmmmmm...), Trader Joes (another do-able lunch break stop), local grocery stores and the garden in our yard. As the garden will soon freeze over I will have to research my other options for fresh, local produce, but hope to keep that as a main part of my diet.

While I'm at it, I've been looking at eating "greener" and have checked out half a library of books on meatless meals, vegan cooking, raw food diets and anything I could find on using seasonal ingredients. I will plan my first menu by the weekend so I can get some of the major shopping and food prep done before Monday morning.

If you have any tips on cooking for one that will keep me from being incredibly repetitive (my typical living alone pattern of cooking) I'd love to hear them!

Comments

Popular Posts