You are what you eat!

Today at work I kept thinking about the old phrase "You Are What You Eat" and decided that I am going to eat something special everyday because I'm special! Eating for one doesn't have to be second rate and just because you're eating alone you shouldn't treat yourself as second rate.

So with that in mind I decided to make something worthy of a sit down meal and spent my lunch break at the grocery store looking for inspiration. I already had Phyllo dough in the freezer along with chicken sausage with red peppers and spinach (Costco - yum) and dried, mixed mushrooms so I picked up Cannellini beans and I had the makings of this dinner. To make the filling I added a bit of onion, garlic, carrots and seasonings and used the liquid from reconstituting the mushrooms as well. While the filling cooled I got the Phyllo wrappers ready by brushing every other layer in a 6 layer stack with canola oil. After adding 1/2 cup of the filling I pulled up the edges to the center, twisted and wrapped and placed the entire pouch on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. While they baked for 25 minutes at 350 degrees I went through the mail, watered the lawn and got a few other errands done so by the time they were ready I could sit down and enjoy my meal. Here's a photo of my dinner plate...


As well as one of the unopened pouch.


As dinner for one doesn't need to be second rate, neither do disposable plates! Marx Foods had sent me some free samples of their Eco-Friendly Palm Leaf Plates and tonight was the perfect night to use one. I loved the rustic look with my dinner in a pouch and the eco-friendly part totally fits with my efforts to eat greener! The plate was not only attractive and sturdy, but it stood up to dinner and washing and can be used again tomorrow! You can't beat that!


I'm excited for the dinner possibilities for tomorrow!

Comments

Tracy said…
Go Sue! I agree with everything you said & can't wait to hear what you cook up tomorrow :o)
Wow, go you! That looks awesome! I think you've inspired me to have a glass of wine with my dinner tonight. Not sure why I stopped doing that when I had kids. Seems silly not to! :)

Popular Posts